I was filled with sadness as I thought of all the times I yelled and how those words were so counter-productive. It wasn't deafness, it was self-defense. Maybe if I hadn't yelled so much to begin with, they would be more receptive to my voice? I thought of how wounded they must feel to have someone who is supposed to love you most yell at you all day. I put myself in their little shoes and began to consider how much it hurts when someone I love is mad at me. I tend to curl in on myself and slap up a big wall of self-defense. I get angry. I know I did something stupid. I already dislike myself for it and don't need someone I love pointing it out to me. I just want that person to remember (and to remind me) that I'm a good person. That, even if I did something so stupid that I would have had to have the intelligence of a rock, that that's not really me. I basically want to know that I'm a good person and that I just made a mistake, but that it doesn't affect my goodness or a smartness or love-able-ness.
Isn't that basically what my kids want? Don't they already know they did something wrong? Does my screaming fix anything or just make them erect their own wall of self-defense? Doesn't it just make them lash back while they're desperately wanting to know that I still love them, that they're good people who just made a mistake? Wouldn't I be much more effective if I talked to them about it in a loving way?
I began to see how everything has been spiraling out of control and how this has become a vicious cycle of me being overwhelmed, yelling at them to stop a bad behavior, they come away wounded from the encounter and shut down to prevent further hurt, then when I approach them again, they've lost respect for me and they're less receptive . . . I end up overwhelmed again . . . hence the yelling. It's sick. I started to pray. Pray for forgiveness and the strength to change. I prayed for inspiration and more love for these little people. I don't want to see them as a burden or the hard things in my life. They should be the greatest source of joy. They deserve to be treated like the amazing little people they are.
I thought about what I want most when I'm feeling wounded and out of control. The answer was . . . a hug, a kind word, an affirmation that I'm okay and still loved. Hence my new motto. Are you ready for this? IF THEY'RE HAVING A HARD TIME, GIVE 'EM A HUG!! I just kept playing it over and over in my mind. "If they're having a hard time, give 'em a hug!" Sounds simple right?
I got up the next morning, tired, but full of hope for a better day, more love for these little people, and more determination to fix the damage I'd slowly but surely been doing. Zoe was the first awake and by her surly demeanor, it was obvious she was up too early. Everytime she began to shriek, I hugged her (even when my tired, adrenally-taxed, thyroid-dead body wanted to strangle her). Jonah woke up all smiles (something I realized I don't see very often, probably because he's always expecting a berating--who would want to get up for that?). I pulled him in my lap and gave him a big hug, which multiplied his grin and my determination. I told him I knew I hadn't been a very nice mommy and that I was so sorry for ever yelling at him. That he was a good kid who deserved much better and that I was determined to be better for him. I told him I had a project and asked him if he'd like to join with me. He eagerly agreed and mission Kill 'Em With Kindness was born.
The rules are this . . .
- If someone is having a hard time, we give them a hug (Jonah ammended that tickles -or beatings as we often refer to them--work really well too).
- When we can't physically give them a hug (such as when we are at the kitchen table and should not be popping out of our chairs a million times) we will "Say a hug." Meaning, we think of something we like about that person and we tell them.
- Pray for that person.
- If we hurt someone, we apologize fast.
7 comments:
Great idea...this will help your lives so much. Good luck...(miss ya).
Hmm...this might just work if you didn't have the spawn of satan for children!
hee hee
I double read the "lassoing the wench" comment just to make sure that is really what you said. Hiliarious.
You have fun, smart, adorable children. If you hadn't left Texas you could just bring them by and we would play with them while you regroup. Serves you right for leaving!
I'll be watching to see if the kill'em with kindness routine really works. You had better use your best hugs so that the data isn't tainted. Moms and Dads everywhere are relying on you...no pressure.
By the way I think you are a fabulous mother despite how much you try to convince us other wise. The monkeys are pretty lucky.
I love this post. I can relate to it in every way. After a day where I have lost my cool, I lay awake in regret for yelling at my kids. I know they deserve the best and I need to step it up.
It's so darn hard sometimes. We will be better for it.
Inspiring.
I can so relate to this post. There was a time a couple of years ago where each an every night I went to bed feeling horrible because I yelled at my children and praying and pleading with God to forgive me and help me to be different the next day and help me not to ruin my children's spirits. Again the next day I had the same problems. Until one day God put some solutions in my path that changed me and gave me options instead of yelling. I never thought I would get though a day without yelling. It was Love and Logic that saved my relationship with my children! We took a Love and Logic parenting course and I read and implemented the book called Love and Logic for Early Childhood. I couldn't believe it when I made it though one day without yelling and now I only yell on a rare basis. I occationally fall back into bad habits, but it definately wasn't as bad as before. I love your idea of killing them with kindness. You are a good mother and your kids are lucky to have you. (Sorry for such a long post). Love you Sis!
oh i so needed this! thanks!
Post a Comment