I find we have some of the funniest conversations in the car . . .
As we were driving along the other day, we saw a police motorcycle with flashing lights ahead of us. Aiden instantly sat up and took notice. "I want to be a police when I get big as a dad!" He announces. His enthusiasm was adorable, and while I have huge amounts of respect for the hard work and danger law enforcers face, the thought of my little boy running around in dangerous situations all the time is not my idea of a wonderful career choice. I'd much rather he choose a nice, safe career. One where his momma doesn't have to worry about him so much.
Then a discussion ensued when Jonah asked, "Can you choose whatever you want to be when you grow up?" (With genuine awe in his voice) I told him that he could choose what he wanted to be, but that whatever he chose, he'd have to work hard to learn how to do it. "Policemen have do to a lot of training" I explained. "Veterinarians have to go to school to learn about the animals, Chiropractors have to learn all about the human body to help it, Architects have to go to college to learn how to design building. So yes, you can choose, but you have to work hard for it."
"Hmmm." Jonah replied, "cool!"
About ten minutes later, after a lengthy silence for Aiden, he pipes in . . . "Mom, the reason I want to be a police when I get big as dad, is because I want my own key."
Me: (Not sure I heard him right) "Key?"
Aiden: "Yes. I've always wanted my own key."
Me: (Smiling) "You can do lots of different jobs and have your own key." ("Something that doesn't involve shootings, high-speed car chases, and bad guys" I add silently)
Aiden: "Really?!"
Jonah: "But Aiden, if you're a police man, you get your own gun! A real gun!"
Aiden: "Wow! Then I definitely want to be a police!!"
Geez! Your own key AND your own real gun! What job could compete with those awesome perks?!
1 comment:
Hi! I saw your comment on my blog and didn't know you had a blog. Checked it out last night. You look fantastic and my how those little kiddos have grown since I last saw them. They are adorable. I love catching up via blogs!
Camey
Post a Comment