Nov 15, 2007

6 Things . . .

Ok, I have been tagged by Miss Amy. These are 6 lesser-known facts about me. Yawn-worthy--perhaps, but this one's for you girl!

  • Artsy fartsy stuff is my therapy. Chris, who is quite the smarty about neurological matters, says it feeds my brain. Heaven knows my brain needs all the nourishment it can get! My dad graced me with a very minuscule fraction of his creative genes. I LOVE to draw, write, sew, paint, and bake (not cook mind you--I hate cooking lately). Unfortunately, with a house full of mini-monkies I don't get to do them very often (you could say they're my roses). I guess if you see me start tic-ing, hand me some paper and a pencil or something. Here's a sampling of my therapy sessions.

  • When it comes to asking someone to help me I carry guilt around like a backpack full of rocks. I hate when Chris comes home from his crazy/full/busy/exhausting day and feels the need to help me pick up the slack at home with the housework drudgery (I have no qualms about letting him help me with the monkies). I especially have a tremendously hard time asking anyone to take my kids for me when I have to go to one of my many appointments. Lest you misunderstand me, it's not that I ever think of my kids as a burden. I also don't think I can do it all and am too proud to ask for help. Far from it--the tasks I usually need help with are majorly kicking my booty and I see my friends struggling with their own tasks/lives and I can't stand the thought of adding my craziness to theirs. If I have an impending appointment where I can't take my kids with me, I freak out for days about asking someone to watch my kids for me. Crazy huh? Don't worry, I'm getting counseling!
  • I have an alter ego. Justin discovered it and revealed it to my hubby. Is nothing sacred? Well, check this out and so much about me will be revealed!

  • I want to be a counselor someday. Ironic eh? With all my insane quirks and tics, I hope that someday I can rise above them and help other people with their own. I actually got a bachelor's degree towards this end, but I would have to get a Masters in order to practice. Someday . . .
  • I am a big nerd.Not so much in the stereo-typical, wearing glasses, pants hiked up the my shoulders sense, but definitely a nerd none-the-less. I always was nerdly in high school (I always got decent grades, didn't get into to much trouble, was part of the National Honor Society and hung out with the mostly brainy kids)--probably much to my parent's relief (and mine if truth be told). I couldn't dress myself worth a hill of beans--I was even a bad 80's dresser which is a double-whammy! I still can't dress myself. All those clothes I got? Don't know how to wear them. I think I hit lucky combinations sometimes, but for the most part, I'm just at total goofball who can't dress herself. I've never been a girly-girl (hence I don't always know what to do with my extremely girly-girl Kolbi). Unfortunately I wasn't the athletic tom-boy type either--way too uncoordinated for that. I just was always more comfortable in jeans and a t-shirt than anything else. Since I've been married, Chris has been able to train me a little bit on what looks good (He's the yin to my yang). But I know there are days when he just shakes his head and moves on. Thank heavens for his infinite patience!
  • I'm very accident prone. When I go down, I've got to go down in a blaze of glory too--no half-way-namby-pamby boo boos for me! No way! Check it out . . . When I was 11 I crashed my bike, bonked my noggin big-time and was out of school for 2 years because I ended up being such a dizzy blonde I couldn't even walk straight. I've broken both of my feet (at different times thank goodness). I cracked 2 vertebrae in my lumbar spine (dig the chiropractic lingo?) while on a first date with a guy in college. He was driving a motor boat with me brilliantly sitting on the inner tube at the other end of the tow rope. He whipped me around and straight toward the floating dock the other half of our double-date was sitting on. Faster than you can say "holy moley!" I slammed into the dock, dislodged from the tube, and did a brilliant double flip over said couple and into the drink on the other side of the dock. Poetry in motion I tell ya! I spent the first week of my college sophomore year flat on my back in my lovely apartment. **as a side note, that same year of college, I also got a RAGING kidney infection, and spent finals/graduation week with my face puffed up like a really greedy chipmunk storing up for the winter due to a lovely little thing called MONO. Not exactly my best year!** I've had numerous other injuries and illnesses, too many to mention. This is why it will probably be a snowy day in hades before Chris gets me on a snowboard. Maybe someday I'll have a deathwish, but don't hold your breath hon!
I now tag Bronwyn, and anyone else who hasn't done this yet (I've lost track). Go, do!

7 comments:

Amy Pennington said...

I getcha a little better now..thx

Now I know why you never let me help you! and I think it is admirable to be such a do it yourselfer...your husband must really love that about you.

love the drawings....you rock

monkie mama said...

Thanks Amy. Actually I think it drives him batty more than anything. He tries to help, oh he tries. But I always make a big fuss about it. Crazy, crazy, crazy!

Leisha Mareth said...

Wow, you and I are alike in so many ways Alicia! I too freak out about adding my "crazies" to my friends "crazies" when I have appointments and need someone to watch my kids. I used to apologize to Melissa B. NON-STOP if I ever asked for her help! FYI, my house is always open if you ever need it! Seriously.

I love your "art" therapy! I'll bet your kids are in awe of your drawings! You are GOOD!

These are fun. I love reading them!

Valerie said...

Love your drawings...you are way talented! And as far as your clothing goes, you always look great to me.

Bronwyn said...

Those are 6 great things!!
Those drawings are amazing! i had no clue how artistically talented you are.
And I totally feel your pain when it comes to asking for help. It's like I'd rather be completely miserable than ask anyone for help. It's insanity.
It's my turn, eh? Hmmm....I'll have to think about that. I was going through some things that people don't know about me and they were all bad things...haha..yeah, I have problems. JK

Amy Pennington said...

missed you today...monkies sick?

jenhatch said...

I'm totally flattered that you find my blog interesting enough to read - and you don't even know me! And it's SO good to see exactly who is reading your blog... you see the hits- and when I know only 5 people that comment and tell me they read it.. you begin to wonder. I'm glad you found me through Amy!

I totally don't mind the linking up to my recipes at all - that's what they're there for! Besides, good food is too important to keep you yourself.

I checked out your blog... you are hilarious! And I'm totally jealous of the mother load of clothes that you got. SO fun!

I'm glad you didn't say anything to me at Wal-mart -- I probably would have turned the brightest shade of red that you could possibly imagine... BUT hey - I've made it now, someone recognized me out in public from my blog. So cool! And that someone isn't a psycho! Even cooler! ;) I'm just glad that you caught us all on a "good" day at Wal-mart!

Thanks for commenting and letting me know you're "checking me out!" ANd i'll do the same with you. Are you in Amy's ward?