Jan 11, 2008

That Voodoo that you do so well

As the wife of an up-and-coming Wellness Doctor, I've been learning some wonderful holistic remedies for ailments. Here, in my layman's terms is one that I've found extremely useful.

Olive oil! It's not just for salads anymore! I've come to learn that Olive Oil has a ton of healing properties (is it any surprise that it is used in giving blessings?). Olive oil (the darker the oil, the more the healing properties) coupled with garlic oil are an EXCELLENT way to get rid of ear infections (among other things). Olive oil kills bacteria, don't know how, just know it works. Garlic has anti-inflamitory properties. Together, when put in the ear, kill the bacteria and stop the pain quickly.
Last Christmas all three of my older kids came down with ear infections. We were at Mimi and Pop's house in Oklahoma and away from our regular docs. I called my chiropractor first and asked for advice--Olive oil and garlic.
This is the way it worked. I used a child's medicine syringe (you can also just pour some into a spoon) and sucked up about a tsp olive oil. Then I sucked up about 1/2 tsp of the oil from a jar of minced garlic. I warmed a bowl of water up in the microwave, then placed the syringe of oils in the water until warmed just to body temperature (you don't want it too hot or too cold or it messes with your inner ear). Just put a drop on your wrist, if you can't really feel it much, it's the right temperature. Have the child lay down with sore ear up, place enough drops in the ear to fill it, then plug with a cotton ball. Within 15 minutes, the intense pain would subside. Usually they would take a nap, since they were feeling so crappy, by the time they woke up, they were right as rain. It was incredible to see these children evolve from crying out in agony to back to normal in a half-hours time. We've had several ear infections since then and used this remedy. It's worked every time and amazingly fast! No waiting for the antibiotics to kick in. No worrying about the overuse of antibiotics for ear infections. The pain is almost instantaneously gone. Ah, the beauties of good food for healing!

6 comments:

Amy Pennington said...

ok my family has used this remedy since my childhood..and when I share it with others I get the weirdest looks ever....thanks so much for being one more person that knows about the healing power of garlic and olive oil!

Leisha Mareth said...

I was just about to put down what Amy said. I remember my Dad doing this when I was a little girl. I hadn't heard it anywhere else so I was seriously thinking my Dad was using some wacky old wive's tale placebo rather than taking me to the Dr. That is so cool that it actually works wonders!

I have to take hormone pills daily since my (emergency) hysterectomy and I hate having to do it. I've read that flax seed can help with menopausal symptoms and might help me get off the synthetic hormones! If you hear anything more on that, let me know! Keep these coming, I love meshing holistic medicine with regular "western" medicine.

Emily R said...

i think i am all for holistic medicine. olive oil and garlic sounds good to me!!! next time!!! ;)

jenhatch said...

SO awesome!! I have never heard of that. Though we've been lucky and have only had 2 ear infections...I will use that next time. AMAZING!

It was fun to meet you at Albertson's! Thanks for saying HI!

{We call my mom and dad Mimi and Pops too!}

Kiera said...

that is cool. I will need to try that the next time. I don't like using lots of medicine, so this is great.

Kristy said...

Very interesting! And I'll bet the kids smell yummy, too. :) Looking forward to more ideas from you and Chris in the future!

Love the new format.