I'm dedicating the next series of posts to the most recent lunacy around here. It started out as one post, but it got too long (the absurdity is boundless around here!) so I'm spreading it out to spare you all. Check out this week and maybe you'll see why I've been A.W.O.L.
Let's backtrack to last
(the 2nd)***. What a blessed day! So lovely and peaceful and refreshing! (This is the part where I throw in the warning that it is wise to step back from your computer since the lightning strike on my end may travel through the internet and thus obliterate your computer and you too if you are unluckily slow). The day started out with plenty-o-bickering. Running ragged to get to church on time, and STILL being beaucoup late! We spent Sacrament meeting in the foyer wrestling with little monkies, then took turns on nursery watch to prevent the miniest of the monkies from laying waste to the nursery ladies with her glass-shattering scream.After church, the bickering started again as we were all starving and that does not bode well in the Wasson household! Miraculously we survived lunch without devouring eachother (though we're trying to eat a lots more veggies and less meat, it's hard for a hungry Wasson to deny their carnivouristic -nay sometimes canabalistic tendencies).
Skip ahead to dinner. I was slaving away at making a nutritious Oriental salad for dinner(I must say, feeling very put-out and sorry for myself that I was the unlucky sucker who got to do the dirty deed) . It's not entirely a difficult meal to make, but with all of the interruptions from little monkies, even the simplest of meals take an excruciating 3 x as long to prepare. Entailed in the recipes is toasted almonds, sunflower seeds, and crushed ramen noodles. I placed the toastworthy ingredients in the oven on broil (just for a few moments mind you) to lightly brown the tidbits, but (I know you will all be so shocked at this confession) I got distracted and the next thing I knew smoke began billowing out of the oven, the smoke alarm (which actually gets used quite often owing to the fact that I'm too lazy and forgetful to actually clean out the spills in the oven) began blaring loudly, and flames started licking out of the oven. I (in all of my fire-safety preparedness) FREAKED OUT. The kids commenced running around the house frantically looking for an escape from the fray as I dashed about shrieking, "What do I do? What do I do???". Boy scout Chris was (by the grace of God) at home, grabbed a potholder, yanked the flaming tray out of the oven and flung it out the back door onto the lawn where it sizzled and lit the lawn ablaze. I recovered enough to pour some water on my blazing lawn masterpiece while Chris began opening all doors and windows so that the neighborhood (who was by this time very aware and curious about the alarm and the smoke issuing from our house) could get an intimate peek into our insane lives. "Wow!" Chris says. "Looks like I need to buy a fire extinguisher." Yeah, Ya think?
~ Most of Monday was spent licking my wounds and trying to recover from the "Day of Rest". Since Mama is tired of doing all of the work around here, and since we're stuffed to the rafters with eager helping hands, we implemented a new chore chart program. The kids were actually excited. Kolbi's task was dishes, Jonah's to help make dinner, and Aiden was supposed to wash his laundry. Kolbi delightedly wasted half a bottle of soap and single-handedly ran up our water bill to twice it's normal amount. Jonah proudly helped make pasta salad. He chopped veggies and olives, helped make the dressing, and set the table. Then he spent the rest of the meal fishing . . . for compliments. "Isn't this so good? Aren't you guys glad I made this (mom helped a little)? Who likes this dinner? That I made?" Aiden spent his afternoon vigorously avoiding all work. He would hide under his blanket, read the books he was supposed to be cleaning up, and turn a deaf ear to all pleadings to do anything productive.
As a side note, the kids were fascinated by the large number of birds congregating in our backyard Monday afternoon. It was a surreal scene straight from the movie The Birds. Turns out that my charcoal lawn decor was actually quite tasty for the birds. "See kids," I say, "I was just trying to give the birdies a healthy snack!" They now think me quite the philanthropist.
---------------------------------------
Up next: Tuesday~Day of the undressed
---------------------------------------
***(I was googling for some kind of cute days of the week images I could kife for this post and I found these adorable things co-eenk-e-dink-i-lee on Rocks in My Dryer which happens to be a site I've blog-stalked a time or two. Check it out. She's a hoot! [and hopefully she won't sue me for using her work on my lowly blog?])
4 comments:
Oh, that salad story is priceless! The flaming flinging of the salad onto the back lawn is a total crackup.
I hope you don't mind I got a good laugh from this one. It was reminiscent of my own stove-top fire incident shortly after moving into our house. I set the spatula on a burner that was turned on (I turned on the wrong burner so my pan wasn't hot) and then I had to change a diaper and next thing I knew, the fire alarms (one in every room) started screaming. In my panic, I forgot where the fire extinguisher was (right next to the stove) and ran around the house looking for one. I grabbed a cup of water and threw it on the fire, then had to fetch the ladder from the garage to take the batteries out of the alarms. (Why didn't they turn off?! They must all be connected. I had to take out every last one before they all shut off.) I would have liked to pretend it didn't happen, but that was the kids' story of the day when Dad walked through the door. Well, it did still smell like smoke so I probably wouldn't have been able to hide it anyway.
Hey-
It was great to hear from you. You're blog is great reading. It sounds as though our homes have just about the same excitement going on....kids and their funny ways. About my banner picture, what the heck? I have NO clue how to dress up my blog. I am nearly computer illiterate. If anyone is holding a blog seminar, let me know.
See you Sunday, probably in nursery with my glass shattering screamer Cole!
Wow what a crazy day!! I had to laugh at all that goes on in your house!!My house is very calm compared to yours!! now I know what to look forward to when our house is that full!!
Post a Comment