Apr 20, 2009

Heard in the Trenches

Zoe was eating almonds and accidentally bit her cheek. She was consoled and calmed down. A few minutes later, she says, "Mom, I'n not talkin' to you. I'n talkin' to dese almonds."

Me: "Okay Zoe."

Zoe: (adopting a fierce scowl) "Almonds! You in big twouble!"
__________________________________________________

Chris has been constantly thwarted in his attempts to open his Chiropractic office. There have been so many snags and he's been quite frustrated. So, when he walked into the room and announced, "Well I got two things done today. . . " I was thrilled for him.

"That's great hon, what were they?"

He looks at me with a wry grin and replies, "Diddly and Squat!"
__________________________________________

I'm afraid my Kolbi is now in the pre-teen note-writing phase of young girl-hood. It cracks me up and takes me back to my own girly-note-writing stage. I just had to share some of her fun notes . . . .

First of all, this goes back to Christmastime. I know, I'm a slacker. She brought it home from her primary class where apparently they were supposed to make a card with a home-made "gift" or promise for someone. This was her promise to me . . .How's that for selfless Christmas-spirit sacrifice?

I woke up from a Sunday afternoon nap during which Chris had taken the kids for a walk. On the counter was a small bowl full of little flowers and this written on a sticky note . . . (translation: Dear Mom, I hope you like the flowers even if they are dead. I LOVE you! Love, Kolbi)

Finally, my favorite and the most recent . . . It was covertly slipped into the back pocket of my jeans . . .
(Dear Mom,
There is a vary cute boy in my class.

And I don't know what to do about it.

Please help!
He is ador-able!
(DON'T BREATH A WORD TO DAD! He'll W-I-G WIG!)

P.S. His name is Colton.)


Ah, young love! All I can say is Colton better watch out for Kolbi's Wig-wearin' dad!!
______________________________________________

Zoe was coloring and digging through the bag of random crayons. From the other room I hear her say, "Whoa!! Oh my goodness!! I LOVE pink! Pink! Pink! Pink!!"
___________________________________________

Zoe was sitting in her chair with a wash cloth. She'd hold it up in front of her face and you could hear her little voice say, "Peek-a-boo! Where are me?"
_____________________________________________

Aiden, Zoe, and I were driving one day and I saw a car painted like a zebra as advertisement for something. I point it out to Aiden and he eagerly pipes in, "I want that when I'm big as a dad!" Then out comes the pouty lip, he folds his arms huffily, and in an angry, 'It's not fair' voice he declares . . . "But I won't get it!"

Surprised by this turn in the conversation, I ask, "Why not Aiden?"

"Because!" He pronounces hotly, "I'll be a Dad! And dad's don't get good presents for Christmas, only kids do! I'll just get a watch, or a tie or something boring like that!!"

Me: (Giggling) "You ain't kiddin' bud!"

1 comment:

holley family said...

ahhhhhh, i love kolbi's notes. that is great, totally reminds me of high school. my mom found a note in my pockets that was from a boy-friend (the real friend kind, not smoochy kind;) anyways, my favorite song was the "truly madly deeply" by savage garden and so he wrote all the lyrics down for me on a piece of paper. well my mom had never heard the song and assumed some boy was writing innapropriate things to me... HA that was a funny one... okay, enough travel down memory lane. where are you guys living now?